Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Queen Mary of Ellensburg

It's true. Ellensburg has a queen. A Queen Mary T-. Long live the Queen! Hehehehehe... A find at the local bookstore, Jerrol's, has given both Mary and I a grin that was much needed. Especially the daintiness of the crown compared to the straightforwardness of the yellow market apron! LOL! In the '50s women did housekeeping in heels and pearls. Nowadays we've upgraded to Keens and crowns... :)

Speaking of Mrs. T-, she has been busy busy busy! Besides the homeschooling, collecting firewood out in the wilds of Kittitas County, and cooking up a storm (some flavorful AND beautiful edibles, I might add) she's been finding time to knit! The item she has just completed is so awesome, I might have to steal the pattern from her and knit one for myself. Not that I'm a die-hard Volkswagon fan. It's just that whole granola thing that makes me smile. Here is her seven year old modeling this killer hat.
Remember the Bazaar Socks I knit with the blue and brown Debbie Bliss yarn? Well, Mary fell in love with them and has decided to knit a pair also. She's using two shades of purple in Cascade 220 superwash. The result is subtle (as subtle as these purples can get) but very fun. (The colors are much brighter than my camera would capture. )What have I been up too? Well, I just finished the Cameo Capelet from Crystal Palace Yarns website. The colors are great, but I had to take it out and start over a couple of times to get the gauge right and to make it fit me the way I wanted. I hoped to use up all the yarn I spun to make it, but had a whole skein left over. So I knit a pair of matching wristwarmers to go with it. It's very comfortable and is warm without making me feel like I'm in a straight jacket, which some of the shrugs I've knit sort of feel like. EEK! Anyway, here are some pics of the FO (finished object).

I also just completed two scarves, one from some bulky buttery softy merino I spun like ages ago and a fun little scarf with a very big button from yarn I spun from a $1 grab-bag of random bumps of merino and CVM wool. I'm not posting pictures of them just yet. I'm working on a hat to go with them (another hat. Yes it is true). It's almost finished, but I wanted to show it all off together.

Recently I've subscribed to Interweave Knits newsletter, Knitting Daily. What I've noticed between it and several blogs is the prevalence of UFOs... No, not the kind that leave crop circles or fly across the corner of your vision simply to tease you into thinking you might have seen something. No, I'm talking about the ever-evil... UnFinishedObject. *sigh* Knitting Daily had the gall to create a poll asking about how many UFOs are hiding in baskets, closets, and under the beds of knitters worldwide. I decided, against any kind of proper judgment, to participate in this poll, I pulled out those abandoned articles and discovered I had only seven. Now I have only six because I felt somewhat guilty about that buttery merino scarf. I don't write about this to set any of you into a panic. I simply thought it odd how many other knitting bloggers were also peeking into their stashes of UFOs. Maybe it's just that time of year when we're indoors a bit more or we've been going through various hiding places to find our holiday gear to display and have had to go through our UFOs to reach it. I don't know. But there is my confession. Six castaways. I am certain that four of them will never reach completion since I cannibalized the yarn to finish them for various other projects. LOL! I refuse to commit to the other two, though one is supposed to be a Christmas gift this year.... Oh... Oops... Actually, I forgot about....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I <3 the Queen :P Now, if there were only some chapters to read.....hmmmmmmmm?

Miss Janelle said...

Wow, nice crown, Mary. Don't we all deserve to be queen at one time or another?

Sarah, your shawl/cape is beautiful! Can't wait to see it in person.