Saturday, June 9, 2007

Decorating and Yard Work: A break from knitting...sort of!

Accomplishments. Sometimes I can work and work and work and feel like I've gotten nothing done. Other times, like this week, I feel like I've overwhelmed myself with completed projects! I started and finished a hat. It's sooo funny! The first time I knit it, I used size 11 needles and the hat was so big it came down below my nose! So, I tried it again on 9s and it worked like a charm! I don't have a very good pic of it, other than the new one of me and Mary in the About Us area of the blog. It has little ears because it's knit as a square. I got the pattern from Easy Knitted Accessories by Jeanette Trotman and used handspun yarn that was 4 wpi. Though I'm happy to have made it, it was not on the list of things to get done. LOL!

Another thing I finished was the lace scarf to go with my beret. The pattern is a traditional arrowhead lace that I repeated until the scarf wrapped around my neck twice and tied. Then I did two rows of single crochet around the edges to give it a bit of a border and added the same flower from my hat. It was fun to knit and it's been cold enough lately to actually wear it!

Mary has spent the day in the yard, well....yards, hers and mine! LOL!... She managed to mow my front lawn, weed around her flowerbeds and mine, trim up her honeysuckle plant around the arbor, water everything, plant marigolds, and make chocolate chip cookies! She makes me exhausted sometimes and I stay out of the yard as much as possible! Also, she is nearly done with her shrug.

Another project not on my list, but has raised its head again, is the drop spindle project that I started a year ago. The wool is alpaca/mohair/lincoln and very beautiful. Once I have it all spun, I plan on crocheting the short sleeve bolero from the Happy Hooker book. But drop spindling is a slow process when you don't carry it with you everywhere you go! When I started this project, I would spin while I walked to work, or when I was in line at the grocery store, or when I was meeting with friends because I don't have to really look at what I'm doing. But the wind makes it too hard to work on it outside and I put it in my basket and entirely forgot about it. It does make for a nice photo and I think I will enter this one into the fair and see if I can win some cash for it!


The other thing I accomplished this week is that I redecorated my room for under $30! Yeah! The design was heavily influenced by India. It is quite lovely in there now! The orange sarong that I'm using for my curtain makes the entire room washed in a warm sunset glow. :D

Ummmm.... Other accomplishments have to do with breaking free of some things that have been emotionally and mentally eating away at me. They are lies that have been cast on me or that I have brought upon myself and I am giving them to God and replacing them with His truth. It's not easy and everyday these lies jump at me and try to get me to pay attention to them, but so far this week I have managed to keep my eyes where they belong, on the Lord.

No comments: